Thursday, October 20, 2016

A very good metaphor

Today I'm going to talk about the last interesting thing I read reciently. But first, I must confess that I'm not good at to reading many things at the time, usually I can't read another things than the papers or academic books for my career, so today I'm going to tell you about the last book that I read and maybe it will interest you. It calls "Casa de Campo" by José Donoso, an important chilean author, and it's about a metaphor of the period before military coup in 1973 and the dictatorship. The history starts with the excursion of the Ventura's family -actually, the adults- whom are planing a day of excursion only for them, far way from the summer house of the family, leaving the kids totally alone. The Ventura's are a very rich chilean family, and they have the tradition of pass the summer in this house in Marulanda with all the members: brothers, sisters, cousins, aunts, uncles and parents; but this time the things changed with this excursion. The kids are alone in the house, without any adult rule, without any servient, only with themselves and the fear of the cannibals of Marulanda. But every kid has a secret, and some of them, have a revolutionary bug inside that question the adult domination, and that's also could change everything.

I really enjoyed the book because take many interesting topics; gender and indigenism are two of them, for example. But also it's very fun the exercise of puzzle out the methapor while you're reading; Donoso has a talent to narrate the history -and in some moments, appear in it- with all the details, so it makes you want to know what happen next. I really recomend it if you haven't read yet.

1 comment:

  1. I remember that book was in my house as a child. I haven't read it and it sounds like a really interesting read. I may ask my mum to lend it to me next summer.

    ReplyDelete